Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sing, Sing a Song

This morning I put Lolly on plane bound for here

Carnegie Hall. She and a few other members of her middle school chorus are performing there Saturday night.

Watching her board that plane in both nervousness and excitement was almost more than I could take. It was in that moment that I realized just how closely my emotions will always be tied to her. Ever since Lolly was born I've seemed to have a keen sense that she's really only mine for a short time and before I know it she'd be grown and on her own. Raising kids is a gradual letting go. Am I depressing you yet?

I am really excited for Lolly. I know she's having a blast. And I have peace that her Daddy is headed to New York to see the performance so she'll have family in the big apple in case of emergency.

Still I found today very hard. Once she got on the plane that is, before that I was the strong reassuring mom telling her not to worry.  Today I start preparing for when she goes off to college. I've got 4 yrs to get comfortable and be strong about the inevitable. Of course once I have her safely tucked away on some college campus I can't promise I won't need to be sedated.

photo credit