Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Let Lent Begin

I always know when I have a great Mardi Gras because I feel like garbage the next day. As with any year, there’s been a lot of talk around the House of Fowler about what each one of us is giving up. For many outside and few within Catholicism, Lent is just known as a time when people give up pop, candy, fried food etc. The focus becomes about the “stuff” and not what Lent is really about at all.

Lent is a time of prayer, fasting, and alms giving all designed to bring you closer to God. Mister hates to hear when I am going to give up sugar and/or diet pop because he knows he may have to weather some cranky times. These things are hard for me because they have a hold on me. I crave them daily, numerous times throughout the day. When these cravings take over I use the opportunity to remind me to turn to God, say a pray, ask for help, or just give thanks for something, then in turn increasing my prayer life. Much needed.

For 40 days I will be fasting from pop, sugar, and complaining about work, as well as practicing general periods of fasting. And because I really want this to be a period of growth for me I am plan to fast from unnecessary spending and stuff. As luck would have it I ran across this idea, 40 Bags in 40 days yesterday on  Faith and Family Live. Fits perfect with my decluttering resolution. I plan to use bags of various sizes depending on the day and time available to dedicate to the task.

Anybody else giving up anything or have any special ways you spend Lent?

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

Thanks for the link Ann. I am going to do the 40 trash bag challenge. I should also give up swearing. It is my nasty little vice that most people don't know about (other than my immediate family and close friends).

Suzanne said...

I'm going without dessert...hard for me!

As a family, we will purchase an extra bag of groceries each week to bring to our local food pantry.

Melissa Miller said...

Oh wow! Ann I love this idea. I'm coming back to read more.

You're right. I did flip over the PB gift card! I'm beyond grateful.

Have a great week. ~Melissa :)

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I'm up for this challenge and it would really do some good in this house. I'm with you on the unecessary spending and I'm going without candy which I've been induldging in way too much lately.

Coco said...

I'm glad I read this post. Decluttering for 40 days. Sounds like something I need to do.

Good luck with Lent.