Sunday, May 22, 2011

Small Message, Big Impact

I just finished reading Small Message, Big Impact by Terri Sjodin



I was interested in this book because it's about how to put the power of the elevator speech effect to work for you. You know the elevator speech - the three minute spiel to sell yourself, your services, your ideas, etc. The elevator speech makes me uncomfortable because selling anything makes me uncomfortable.


While I was interested in the book it took me a while to actually pick it up and start reading. I didn't have to read far into the book to realize I should have picked it up right away.


This book is full of valuable information and helpful tools, whether you are developing an elevator speech or a longer presentation. I can count at least three missed opportunities where I could have benefited from the information in this book the week before I started reading this book. From the basic of how to have structured a presentation I gave down to how to determine the amount of time spent of each area of the presentation to how to define my intention when presenting an idea to my boss for buy-in.

Good for anyone in sales, anyone who presents, and more importantly anyone who is not comfortable with either of those situations.


No comments: