Friday, August 20, 2010

Focus on Happy

Do you ever feel that way? Like they just don't get it. I do quite a bit at work when we're talking about recruiting (that's what I do)

But I feel it even more when I think about how I structure my days, my weeks, my months. Like I don't get it.

I feel like I spend the majority of my life hurrying from one thing to the next; on the way to the end of the day, the end of the week, the next year, something different, the next stage of life...I have a great life and I am hurrying through it without evening noticing what makes it good.

If I look back on my week, it looks like this - work, traffic, work, traffic, work, traffic,work, traffic, work, traffic. It goes without saying traffic sucks. Work, is work. It keeps me busy, pays the bills. I work for a great company but at the end of my life I am not wanting to remember traffic and life in a cube.(cubes also suck). It's time to add a whole lot of happy into my days, weeks, months. Man, it's easy to get lost in the rat race. Do you have any secrets to finding balance? to not living on autopilot? to getting the most out of life?

4 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

You might want to pick up the book The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin who has made it her mission to figure out and pursue what makes her happy. She has a blog too. She has some good tips and offers great links to others who write about what makes people happy.
http://www.happiness-project.com/

Sherrie said...

I have definitely gone through stages where I felt that I was just so busy that life was passing me by. I tend to try and really relish the time I have off in the summer and spend it getting myself organized for the next school year, but also having fun. I really feel this was my best summer off in years. I do think it helps that my youngest is now almost five and life is just easier not having a baby/toddler around.

Coco said...

It's hard not to get in a rut. Now that Bram is starting Kinder, I think it will be a bit of a change of pace. And me working for a bit is awesome. Another change of pace.
But getting in a "groundhog day" kind way of living is normal. Right?

Unknown said...

It is easy to feel that way. I try to just slow down and enjoy the day. Take a day off and do something you'd really like maybe just for yourself or with the family whatever you're in the mood for.